Dutch English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

The Fuel Assistance Program provides low-income households with assistance for heating their homes in the winter months. The program has specific qualifications that each household must meet. The extent of the fuel assistance benefit is based on the needs of each household, and is determined according to program guidelines.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Ages Served: All
  • Income Guidelines: Up to 200% FPG, higher guidelines if funding allows
  • Geographic Area: Belknap/Merrimack Counties
  • Other Requirements: Must be responsible for paying heating costs at residence. Renters with heat included (non-subsidized) are also eligible for payment of a portion of monthly rent.
  • Income Guidelines: INCREASE THIS YEAR: Income limits are at 60% of the State Median Income.


Benefits are calculated on a number of things, including household income, energy costs, and housing type.

The following are examples of what may be needed to complete your application.  CLICK HERE for the Fuel & Electric Assistance Application 

Required Document Checklist

Please use this checklist to be sure that you have included all of your documentation. Incomplete applications will not be eligible to receive a benefit and will be denied; call our office to find out how to reapply if you application has been denied.

Income: Gross wages for all household members for the last 30 days prior to your application date.


  • 5 pay stubs if paid weekly
  • 3 pay stubs if paid bi-weekly
  • 2 pay stubs if paid monthly

Examples of required income: Employment, Pensions, Retirement, Civil Service, Unemployment, Worker’s Compensations, Bank Interest over $50 for year, Self-employment, Annuities, Alimony, Any income received by Social Security Administration, etc.

Child Support Paid Out or Received: A child support form must be completed for households where both biological parents do not reside. If you pay out, provide proof of receipts within application income period. Click here to download form -  Child Support Form

State and City Assistance: If you have received assistance from your local town welfare or Department of Health and Human Service (Food Stamps, TANF, APTD, OAA, FAP, NHEP, etc.) you will need a copy of the most recent decision letter.

Proof of Residency Renters: Your landlord will need to complete a Landlord/Tenant Verification Form Click here to download form -  Landlord Form

No or Low Income: Anyone 18 years or older with no or low income, who is not in high school, must complete a No/Low Income Form. Assistance Form may be requested if help is received outside of the home. Click here to download form -  No/Low Form

Self-Employed: Any household member that is self-employed is required to provide a copy of their SIGNED current tax return along with the Schedule C and all supporting schedules.

Current Tax Return: All applicants must provide a copy of their complete IRS Tax Return. Any adult household members that did not file will need to complete IRS form 4506-T to confirm non-filing.

Social Security Cards and Date of Births: for all household members.

Fuel Vendor/Account Number and Usage: Vendor must be established before your application date. If you have used the same fuel vendor for the past 12 month, please provide 12 months of fuel costs.

Electric Bill: most recent electric bill (Eversource, Unitil or NH Electric Co-op)

Please keep in mind that not all circumstances can be addressed and that additional paperwork may be requested during the application process.


Fast Facts

  • Households with elderly, disabled, or a child under 6 may begin applying in July
  • Households that heat with wood may begin applying in July
  • Program opens to everyone beginning September 1 each year
  • Applications are taken via mail, email, fax, or in person appointment
  • Benefits range from $210 to $1575 and are paid directly to the vendor or landlord
  • Subsidized renters with heat included in their rent are not eligible
  • Do not prescreen based on current income guidelines. Other resources may be available
  • Program covers fuel deliveries, utility usage, or rent from October-April, up to the benefit amount
  • Denied applicants may reapply at any time up until April 30
  • Program closes each year on April 30, at which time unused benefits expire
  • Everyone has the right to apply


Please contact the agency area resource center closest to you:

Concord - 603 225-6880Suncook - 603 485-7824
Laconia  - 603 524-5512Meredith - 603 279-4096
Warner   - 603 456-2207 



Please contact Fuel Assistance by phone at 603 223-0043 or email at FuelAssistance@capbm.org if you have questions about this information.